The roots of Wellesley Friendly Aid date back to the establishment of a "Friendly Aid Committee" to assist a family that lost its home in a devasting fire just before the turn of the 20th century. At the request of the Selectmen, the Committee expanded its mission to providing relief to residents of the "poor farm" in town. Over the next few years other programs were added, including an employment bureau, a free bed at the Newton Cottage Hospital, a sewing school to provide clothes for the needy, and the establishment of nursing and health services.
In 1909, the Wellesley Friendly Aid Association was officially incorporated as a private, non-profit organization and the directors pledged to "promote the welfare of the poor, suffering or friendless in Wellesley." In these early days, Wellesley Friendly Aid collaborated with other organizations to provide services to residents. Child welfare, nutrition, eye, and dental clinics were established in conjunction with the Board of Health and the local schools. To this day, the collaboration with local entities continues.
Standing Strong Through The Years
Through more than a century, Wellesley Friendly Aid has continued to expand or modify the scope of its various charitable programs to meet the changing needs of our community. Friendly Aid has assisted residents of our community of all ages and incomes. We have been able to do so because of the continuing support of many members of the Wellesley community: neighbors helping neighbors.
Find the detailed history here.